Sooo, I have a confession. I like washi tape.
| Ooooooh, ahhhhh, washi |
No, I love washi tape. And I have a lot of it. A jar full to be exact.
| Yup, a whole jar full. |
So here I sit with this jar full of washi and I am plum out of ideas on how to use it. So I ask myself, WWTD (What Would Tracy do)? Looking back through the Little Blue House archives, I remember going to a Scrapstashers class on different ways to use washi tape. Tracy had some great ideas for a layout, a card and a rosette. You can check it out here.
I decided to use the layout as inspiration and make my own Easter themed layout and I am going to share it with you guys today. Ready? Here we go.
First I gathered my supplies:
-my basics (ATG, scissors, etc.)
-5 spring-y Easter-y washi tapes
- 12x12 base page (I used yellow)
-3 photo mats in 5x7 (I used light blue), 3x5 & 4x6 (I used white)
- 3 x 12inch strip (I used light blue)
-1 ½ x12inch strip (I used green)
-fringing scissors
- a punch in your chosen icon shape (I used my Silhouette to cut the egg shape)
- craft wire
-wire cutters
-journal pen, black
-tiny attacher
-3D foam dots
Next I used my Silhouette to cut out my egg shape in the 3 x12 inch strip. (You could really use any shape here depending on what theme you are using on your page. Tracy made a cute Disney themed one using a Mickey punch.) Then I laid the cut strip on my page, about a half inch from the bottom, and used my journal pen to make some tick marks as a guide to where I would place my washi.
Then I used the guide marks I made to lay strips of washi straight, diagonal and every which way. Then I attached the 3 x 12 inch strip to the page with 3D foam squares like so:
Next I wanted to dress up my photo mats. This is a great way to get a patterned paper look using cardstock scraps…which is just what I did. In fact, the only paper that did not come from my scraps was the base page. I just cut the photo mat to size, then lined the edges with washi & wrapped the washi around the edges. Fancy.
I used my fringing scissors to fringe the green strip of paper, making ‘grass’ and attached it just above the strip with my egg cut outs. Then I made a banner for the page. I took approx. 12 inches of wire and folded various lengths of washi over the wire. Then I used my scissors to snip the washi at a slant and with kite-tails. Easy peasy and oh so cute.
All I had to do next was put everything together. The bottom of the page was already built, so I just attached my photo mats and photos with ATG. Then I used my tiny attacher to staple the banner to the page, bending it slightly in the middle for a swag effect. I finished it up by doodling around the eggs the page border with my journal pen and using some tiny alpha to add the date.
For those keeping track, we have used the washi tape 3 ways: as a shadow behind our cutouts, on a cute banner and to make fancy photo mats. Woot!
What I want to know is have you ever used washi tape in a creative way, other than on a scrapbook page or card? Comment below and let us know. I will draw one commenter to win something fun…washi tape perhaps?? I love this idea that Miss T had. She used it to upgrade her phone charger.
| That Tracy is so clever! |
Our winner yesterday was terri D who posted: Sounds like it all will be great but I have to say I love the blueprints so looking forward to a freebie one! Send us an email at lbhbluecrew@gmail.com to collect your prize!
Stay True Blue,
Cat




Cute cute layout.. I remember the washi tape class too.. I have a ton of the stuff.. hardly use it,..I need help no great ideas on this one.. thanks for some inspiration..
ReplyDeleteI used my washi tape on my phone cords and have not had to search for it ever since. Best use of washi ever!! hehe
ReplyDeleteI have not used my washi tape for anything other than scrapbooking. But thats about to change!
ReplyDeleteThis was one of my favorite layout ideas that Tracy showed us. Love the eggs! I never remember to use all that washi tape until I see a great idea.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the inspiration!
I'm going to need to track down some Disney Washi tape to upgrade our chargers before we go to Disney World in June...with 3 iPhone 5s and 2 iPads making the trip we will definitely need a way to distinguish everyone's chargers!
ReplyDeleteLove my Washi tape and have been using it on lots and lots of layouts!
ReplyDeleteI've mainly used my washi tape on cards, but I'm excited to see these new ideas! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI took that washi tape class with you, Cat, and love how you used it as inspiration. I have not been that clever and had forgotten those cute uses. The only different thing I have done with the washi tape is repair Avery's torn paper crown that we made a week ago. We used craft paper and rhinestones to make the crown. She wore it a few days and then fell down and it ripped! We used some pink washi tape to repair it and she thinks it's "the prettiest crown in the whole universe"!!!
ReplyDeleteI haven't used washi tape much yet, but I got some for my Birthday and I'm going to start using it!! Ii love the layout!!
ReplyDeleteCat, that is such a cute layout! I want to love Washi tape. I have used it on things when in classes at the LBH but didn't really love it. The look it gives is great. I just need to practice more with it. I did by some so now you have inspired me to get it out and learn how to use it. Thanks Cat
ReplyDeleteI took the class too! Loved the layout concept then, and like what you did with the Easter eggs. Time to bring it back out . . . I've mainly been using it on layouts and some cards.
ReplyDeleteHi Rhonda I too have lots and lots of Washi! Love the Layout!
ReplyDeleteBest thing I ever did with Washi Tape was wrapping my phone charger...LoL!!!! Now the kiddos can't take mine anymore! #handsoffmycharger #lovewashitape
ReplyDeleteOk...will repost...user error on my part.
ReplyDeleteI love the washi eggs!!!!!
Also love Miss Tracey's Mickey washi
I used washi tape to make a tag on the end of my drivers licence so I can get it out of the see through part of my wallet when I need to.
ReplyDeleteCute layout!!!! I must look into this washi tape! LOL !! ;-)
ReplyDelete