Good Morning LBH Fans!
Natalie here with a totally RAD layout for you. Before we begin, I have a confession. I am a HUGE fan of 80s movies. Recently, I learned that my partner in crime, Cat, has not seen many of the classic 80s movies that I so love: Top Gun, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club to name a few. What?!?!? I foresee a ton of crafty sessions in our future while watching 80s movies.
It seems that neons are all the rage right now as well as the popular brushstroke fonts and word art. When I see these bright colors, I think of the 80s while the brushstroke reminds me of artful graffiti and street art. With that in mind, I was inspired to make this RAD layout.
Let's get started!
I pulled my supplies that consisted of bright neon paints, papers and embellishments from an Amy Tan line (Sketchbook) and some of her brushstroke Thickers from the Plus One collection and a patterned brayer from the DIY Shop Collection. All these items can be purchased at The Little Blue House!
I wanted my papers to do all the talking, so I chose a black and white photo. I love the look of b&w being offset by bright colors. The pic is of my son, Carter, with all of his cousins at Thanksgiving last year. It's rare that we are able to all be together, so I knew I wanted to scrap this and feature it on the blog for them to see since they live so far from me. Hi Maddie, Allie, Tyler and Ryan!!!
The layout went together so easy. I started with a bright orange base and layered white cardstock on top. I built the rest of the page with a polaroid frame (another reminder of the 80s) cut from my Silhouette and 1" squares from other patterned papers in the Sketchbook collection.
Once my papers were in place and glued down, I put two small dots of neon blue and green paints on a craft sheet. I ran the patterned brayer through the blue paint (no need to saturate it as you want a subtle effect) and ran the brayer on top of the layout in the bottom right corner. I repeated the step with the green paint. It doesn't take much to give this layout that extra "pop".
I completed the layout with one of the brushstroke Thicker alpha titles and placed over where I painted on the layout. Cherish? Wait, wasn't that an 80s song by Madonna? How's that for planning?!?!? I also added some flair and additional ephemera and flags throughout the layout to give it a little more RADical character.
So, tell us, Blue Fans; what era would inspire you to create a project? Comment for a chance to win. Since there are 5 kiddos in my pic that I scrapped, I think we will choose 5 winners today. Yes, FIVE WINNERS to be announced Friday. Want to win? Comment below!!!
And because we love our Blue Fans so much, if you upload an era inspired project (it doesn't have to be a layout) on our FB page, we will do a giveaway over there, too!!! You have a week to upload your project and winner will be announced on Friday, April 11.
I bet you're wondering who won yesterday? Congratulations to DEBRA and ERIN; please email us at lbhbluecrew@gmail.com
Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope I have left you inspired and singing 80s music in your head!
Join us tomorrow as we honor our Blue leader, Miss Tracy. You will leave asking yourself WWTD the next time you create. Read more tomorrow to find out how Cat and Nat came about our WWTD mantra.
Stay True Blue!





This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTotally cute layout.. I love them rollers.. and can see many uses for them... Congrats to the winners.. love the blue crew blog :D
ReplyDeleteI would prally do the 70's as this is the year I remember so well.. my teen years.. :D
ReplyDeleteTotally Tubular layout! For me it would be the 80's, big hair, Motley Crue & the clothes! Who doesn't remember all the lace, rubber bracelets and flashdance sweatshirts! Gag me with a spoon! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI love the electric colors and I have played with the rollers....they are SO FUN!!! They come in different sizes and textures :)))))) Great Layout Nat!!!
ReplyDeleteI need those brayers! Will be visiting the store this weekend. Your layout is "totally rad" as my kids used to say. Love it!
ReplyDeleteThe 60s are a great time for me to scrap! I love the retro colors!
ReplyDeleteY'all know I heart the 80's! #loveit
ReplyDeleteOf course I love this layout!! It's totally cute and has my daughter in it. Can't wait to show her.
ReplyDeleteI see an 80's themed Girl's Movie night in the Click Theatre Room in the neat future! They are my faves!
ReplyDeleteLoved the rollers. What ideas have come to my mind.
ReplyDeleteThe 80s are the best! I love the rollers too. Such a fun layout!
ReplyDeleteI'm commenting on this a day late; but Nat, that's an outstanding LO! Love the way you put the LO together, too!
ReplyDeleteI love all those 80's movies you talked about! In fact, "Breakfast Club" just celebrated it's 30th Anniversary last week.
I got the Amy tangerine thickers & wish I could stock pile them in every color. Love your LO.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete