Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Teacher Appreciation: K-cup Holder & Sharpie Mug



Good Morning Blue fans; Nat here again with another fun TAW project.

I found this cute K-cup holder (design # 51960) in the Silhouette online store. The design came with a snowflake, which was easily substituted with a coffee mug (design # 55432). I used Kraft in Color by Doodlebug for the holder, brown scrap paper for mug and finished it off with some coordinating ribbon. I also lightly covered the mug with copper stickles for a little bit of shimmer.

 
Next to the Silhouette, I spend a ton of time on Pinterest. I have seen so many of the handmade Sharpie mugs. I felt this would be a perfect opportunity to give it a shot. After researching the best method, I found that the oil-based Sharpies hold up better when washing. Hand washing, that is. I don't know that I would risk putting these through the dishwasher.

For my mug ($1 at the Dollar Tree), I wanted to go with a simple monogram. I followed the tutorial from this blog and cut a monogram with vinyl, centered on my mug and with a medium tip Sharpie (2 colors - turquoise and silver), I placed dots around the monogram. Baked in a well-used oven at 350 for 20 minutes. When it was finished, I turned the oven off and let the mug sit for a good 2 hours. I removed the vinyl when I took the mug out of the oven.


The hardest part of this project was waiting for it to "bake" and cool.

This was so fun to make and relatively inexpensive. The major cost was the oil-based Sharpies (3.79, but I used a coupon).  But you can also get more than one mug out of each Sharpie, so the possibilities are endless.




Thanks for joining me today.  April is drawing to an end but we still have more days to give away some prizes. Please comment below for a chance to win.

Join us tomorrow for a TAW idea from Miss Tracy.

The winner from yesterday is Amy C.... What an adorable tag! That pencil is so stinkin' cute! Honestly, school was not my favorite place to be! Please email us at lbhbluecrew@gmail.com

Stay True Blue,

Nat

11 comments:

  1. I love the mug!! You made it look so easy!! Thanks as always for the inspiration;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! You've inspired me to try this project with a mug. Thanks for the inspiration and the prize I won today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the coffee mug idea and the coffees! Both of Avery's teachers drink coffee, so this would be great for tomorrow or for end of the year treats! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute and easy! Thank you for the ideas and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have teachers anymore, but this is definitely going on the list of things I will intend to make, but not actual make for Christmas presents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool inexpensive ideas for anybody and any holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am going to make it for 2 of the teachers that have k cup machines n their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete