Monday, June 9, 2014

Make it Monday: A Father's Day Card

Hey BLUE fans; Nat here with a LATE Monday post. This weekend was hectic. Jerry discovered a leak outside that forced us to turn our main water off into our house. So thankful Cat lives in the same neighborhood as I was able to go over Saturday to do some laundry while Cary assisted Jerry on the leak. We had family portraits scheduled for later that day, so this was NOT the time to have major leaks. ugh! While at Cat's, Makenna and Carter had the sweetest (literally) little tea party that included 2 flavors of tea, brownies, cookies, Kit Kats and cake. To balance out all that sweet, there were cheese and crackers. Cat got some great pics of the kids that she'll share this week. I know 2 people that will definitely be scrapping those photos. Love those kids. oh, and THANK YOU CAT AND CARY for being there for us this weekend!!!

With Father's Day around the corner, I thought I would make a quick card and share with you. I don't know about you, but I struggle with making cards for boys/men. It's so easy for me to add glitz and glam to cards yet I find it second nature to make BOY layouts. Go figure! I love the new Fancy Pants Designs "Be Different" collection. This paper lends itself so well to boy-y layouts and there are great patterns that work well for manly cards. For cards, I prefer to work with 6x6 paper pads as the scale of pattern is smaller and works better for card making. I worked with the "focused" and "my style" papers.


To start, I cut my beige cardstock to 4 1/4" x 11" and folded in half. I wanted a top fold card. I went through my growing collection of stamps and chose the Jenni Bowlin Harlequin stamp and pulled some silver embossing powder. Background stamps and embossing seem to be an easy "go to" for manly cards. I used my Fiskars Stamp Press and stamped around the card in various places with Versamark. The stamp press works great for centering sentiments, background stamps as well as helps give even pressure when stamping. If you have a tendency to "rock the block" when you stamp, try a press. It's a great tool!



I cut a 1 1/4" x 5 1/2" strip of the "my style" paper. I only wanted to use the navy in the "focused" paper, so i trimmed off the scroll border and bordered punched with a Fiskars postage stamp border punch. I trimmed a strip wide enough that only the detailed edge would show behind the "my style" paper. I trimmed one of the labels from a Brag Card in the "Be Different" collection, added some word/letter stickers from the DIY Boutique collection and a piece from the "Be Different" ephemera pack to complete the card. I'm happy with how it turned out. It was quick and easy.







I hope you had a great weekend. Cat and I are gearing up for the Great American Scrapbook Convention on Saturday. We will be walking the floors and hopefully meeting a lot of people and seeing some familiar faces. Will we see you there? We hope so! Tracy will also be there with The Busy Chicks, which is a collection of local crafty businesses and retreat centers. Seek them out if you are at GASC. They would love to see you!

Stay True Blue,

Nat

4 comments:

  1. What a weekend you had! Thank goodness for good friends!
    That is a great card! Love the way you used your stamp press.You did a great job making a "man card"--they are hard for all of us females because we want to put glitter, lace, flowers or fancy ribbon on our cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my stamp press Ms Linda. If you don't have one, i highly recommend if you are a big stamper. It works great!

      Delete
  2. I think you did a great job on this card. It sure doesn't look like you struggle with male cards!

    ReplyDelete