Cat and I love a good challenge and we were so happy we chose Liz's scrap challenge.
Let's face it; Cat and I have a ton of scraps. I will admit, though....as easy as it may seem to make something from scraps, I get a little overwhelmed with all the scraps that I have. And then I get so stuck on thinking everything has to match perfectly and since it's not from the same paper collection, I just let my scraps build up and up and up and continue to cut into my new paper collections where everything is matched for me. Liz to the rescue.
About my layout. I wanted to scrap these pictures of my brother playing with Carter this past Thanksgiving. I went through my stash of scraps and pulled out all the papers that reminded me of fall; browns, golden yellow, orange, dark greens, etc. In true "scrap" challenge, I wanted my paper choices to be small. I don't consider a 10x10 piece of paper to be a scrap. The only large piece I pulled was the 5x12 strip of brown/yellow polka. In keeping with the fall theme, I used the Tim Holtz "tattered leaves" die to cut several leaves from my scrap papers. Another thing that works great with scraps: punches. I punched several "label" accents from the EK Success "photo labels" punch. I love accents like this for layering. I also used a Martha Stewart photo corner punch. A fun title, some gold sequins, buttons and distress inking finished off my layout.
| after die cutting, I crumpled the leaves and ran Mocha Mama Quick Quotes over for dimension |
About Cat's layout.
For Cat's layout, she wanted to use colors that coordinated with the Basic Grey Herb & Honey line that she is currently using to scrap pictures of her nieces and her Dad gardening. So she pulled yellows, greens and reds from her scrap file. (It's funny how the color that we each used are similar and totally unplanned!)
Cat pulled her 1.5 inch square punch as well because she knew she wanted to use the tutorial from the Studio Calico blog on making a chevron border. This is a perfect use of scraps because you only need small squares of paper to make it.
She finished out her page with embellishments from the Basic Grey Herb & Honey line.
I love how both of our layouts turned out. And with the use of scraps, these both look so different. Thanks for a great challenge Liz. We would love to see our readers take the challenge. What would you make with scraps? A layout? A card? A favor of some sort?
Thanks for stopping by today. Come back tomorrow as Cat uses one of Miss Tracy's Throwback creative tricks. Until then...
Stay True Blue,
Nat

Both of you made some wonderful LO's with your scraps! It's amazing how closely your brains are in synch...the colors y'all used are so close. This is a great challenge! Now I need to know what size scraps you keep and what size you throw away?(I'm a scrap hoarder!)
ReplyDeleteOne thing I hope you will feature on your blog one day is Tracy's "Scrap Shack"! I'd love to see the inside, but I'm even more curious about the outside of her shack. What does it look like? How long has she had it? Yada, yada, yada!
Fun layouts ladies! Love the way you used your scraps!
ReplyDelete