Thursday, May 29, 2014

Throwback Thursday with a THRIFTY twist!!

Hey Blue House Fans.  Cat here to share with you a #TTBT, that's THRIFTY Throwback Thursday.  We just made a new hashtag y'all!  Woot.  I love a throwback and I really love being thrifty, so this is like scrapbook heaven for me!

This throwback layout idea is actually from Miss Tracy and pre-dates Cat & Nat.  It was featured in her Scrapstashers class in October 2011 and Nat and I did not have our fateful meeting at The Little Blue House until the Page Builders class of October 2011.  Just a little fun fact for you there.

So that's the throwback part, now lets talk thrifty.  The premise of this layout, is to use up all of your leftover & misc. embellies, bits and pieces.  You know, the chipboard and stickers and ephemera that you hate to toss because its just too cute, but you have already used the coordinating papers...the ones that you toss in a bin or a bucket, just in case you will need to use them in the future.  Time to pull those puppies out and put them to use.  You are going to be amazed at what a bunch of random leftovers can make.

Ready to see it? 

Are you sure?

Here you go:





So. Stinking. Cute.  Right?  I just love it.  This would be a great way to use up left overs from just about any holiday.  I particularly like the idea of doing Christmas pages this way---all the different shades of red and green would be just grand. 

So Nat and I look at this and we agree its just adorable but we say to each other, "Miss Tracy can make anything look cute.  Do you really think that WE could throw leftovers and random things on a page and have it turn out so polished and put together?  Or would it look like someone let a Kindergartener loose with a glue stick?"

I decided to test the it out.  I rummaged through my 'purge box' (stuff destined for donation) and pulled a some things in like colors, grabbed some buttons to fill in the gaps, and a few scraps of patterned paper from my scrap box.  I laid it all out on the page.  I tried my best not to be too fussy, just let the randomness be my guide.  I did not even have a picture in mind when I was putting this together, but as the page started to take shape, it was easy to choose one.  I glued everything down, added my pic and some journaling and -bada-bing, bada-boom- I was done.  Took me less than 30 mins to pull everything, arrange and glue it down.  So really, we could call this #QTTBT (quick & thrifty throwback Thursday)!! 

So, here is what I came up with:
 


I am seriously pleased with the results.  To think, this was stuff that was on the verge of purge.  I was actually gonna toss these goodies and I would have missed out on this fun and cute layout.  I shudder at the thought.

I hope this has inspired you guys to go dig through your stash and give this a try.  If you do, I want to see it!  Really, I do.  Upload it on our Facebook page.  In fact, we would love to see anything you are creating!  Upload your pages and cards and projects.  You just never know, we may choose to feature one of your ideas in a future post!

Now for the Q&A portion of the show.  Did any of you guys attend the Scrapstashers class when Miss Tracy did this layout?  Are you going to attempt to recreate this at home?  If so, do you have a theme in mind?  Leave us a comment below and let us know.  We LOVE all of your comments.  So comment away :)

Stay True Blue,
Cat

2 comments:

  1. These are great ideas for using up extra supplies! I have the hardest time getting rid of crafting items. The minute I do, I need them again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever have time to scrapbook again, this will be my "go-to" way to use up all of the leftover pieces that might be destined for the "give-away" pile. Especially when scrapbooking holidays, there are always 5 or 6 left over pieces that are too cute to throw away. What a great solution to that problem! Great job, Cat! (And no, I wasn't in that class.)

    ReplyDelete