Good Morning Blue Fans! Thanks for stopping by today. We are changing the pace a little and I'm sharing some personal organization tips with you as well as a fun project I made for Carter's birthday.
I'm in the process of doing a major overhaul and purge of my room. This process scares Cat. Terrifies her, actually. I have no issue with parting with the old and making room for the new. If I haven't used something in years, it's obvious I don't need it. Do I have a pack of paper that has only a few more sheets left? Toss it. Yes, I said toss! Actually, donate, pass down to your fellow crafting buddies or have a scrap yard sale. Either way, GET RID OF IT. I know for some, this step may be hard to embrace. And that's OK. Now, for some of you that may be new to scrapbooking/paper crafting, a major purge like this may be daunting. Let me explain....I have been scrapping for years and years and years.
So, with that said, let's get started.
Here is a view of my craft room as you walk in. It's a bedroom that I turned into my own personal space. Yes, the floors are cluttered. Yes, I did tidy up a bit before taking pics (sorry, I had to). I have a table dedicated to my computer and silhouette and a table dedicated to my creating. On the walls, I have the IKEA Bygel rods that hold some of my punches, as well as ribbons on spools and buttons. I have shelves that hold my rainbow of inks and other hodge podge things. I also have a tool caddy on a lazy susan that I picked up at Oriental Trading eons ago. A great alternative is the Pampered Chef Tool Caddy.
To the right of my tables, I have an Ikea Expedit unit. Recently, Ikea discontinued most of the expedit units, which I am so sad about. These work so well in craft rooms, play rooms, common spaces, everywhere. As you can see, my expedit is full of stuff. So, I have plenty of things to purge.
Here is a cart I picked up at the Container Store. I use this as my "art cart". Here I house all of my embossing powders, distress stains, glitters, special inks etc. Here's a tip for you....I store my embossing powders upside down so that I can easily look and see what color is in the bottle. That way, I don't have to turn over various bottles to find a certain color.
Now, here's something that Cat introduced me to; the Multipurpose Bins from the Container Store. These are the perfect size for 12x12 papers, including collection packs. A plus? These have handles so you can move 'em around easily. I have so many of these. I like to sort my papers by manufacturer, so I label the name of the company on the outside of the bins. Do you like the idea of these bins? Check the Container Store often because these do go on sale every now and then.
For my metal die storage, I use the Magnetic Die Storage Case from ArtBin.
Here is a tip / method Cat and I learned from one of our friends and fellow blog readers, Amy Click. We call this the "Mumma Click" method. Cat and I have so many paper collections and get overwhelmed when trying to decide what collection / papers to use. Not only that, we feel guilty about scrapping 1 layout with a collection only to file it away and never see it again. Amy to the rescue. She powers through her collection packs; scraps all that she can from one collection and purges the leftovers. Brilliant. So now, Cat and I practice this method, especially at retreats. So, thank you, Amy!!! You are forever thought of when Cat and I scrap!
Here's a fun little project I made to put on the table at Carter's birthday party this weekend. Have I mentioned how much I love my Silhouette? I made this with design # 59825 in the silhouette online store. What's great about some 3-d projects like this is that they come with tutorials (linked in the product description). I just followed the tutorial, used a ton of pop dots and voila. So fun and easy.
And for a sneak of something coming up later this month. Hmmm, what could it be?
Thanks so much for stopping by today. Would love to hear your scrap room organization tips. Or did you read anything here today that you'd like to incorporate into your craft space?Come back tomorrow as Miss Tracy, Cat and I take one of our reader's challenges. We are giving away a prize tomorrow, so you don't want to miss out!
Stay True Blue,
Nat
I will know I have made it when I have a whole room for all my hobbies instead of half my closet! #apartmentliving #craftgirlproblems
ReplyDeleteif memory serves, my friend, you have an awesome space for creating and storing. i believe you dedicated it to your writing / reading, etc. Free up some of that space and share with paper crafting.
DeleteMy books always come first! Although I'm running out of room for them, but I'm okay until I seriously start to consider storing them in my oven, at which point I might need a book intervention!
DeleteOh I'm going to have to see my sister at the Container Store (she manages the one in Southlake) and get some of those all-purpose bins for 12x12 storage! ...and by the way, who you callin' lazy?
ReplyDeleteLOL. i had to go back and read. you're so silly! I love the container store. I bet they have some great storage things for your metal dies, too ;-) Have fun shopping!
DeleteSo many great organizing ideas, Nat! I'm going to keep this page as a reference and use your "getting rid of paper" idea as well as the "Mumma Click" method! I've got to conquer my paper problem! Thanks for a GREAT and much needed article!
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda. Please give the "Mumma Click" method a try. You won't regret it. As weird as it sounds, it also helps justify the MILLION of collection packs Cat and I continue to buy. "It's ok to buy these 4 new collections because we just powered through and purged 5 at the last retreat we were at."
DeleteThanks for sharing your storing and organizing ideas. I love that Ikea turquoise cart. I've been seeing it all over the blogs. My only storage area for my supplies is a closet. I dream of my own craft room one day
ReplyDeleteThanks Amy. This cart would actually be great for you in a closet. It's portable and narrow enough that it can slide between something in a closet. If you have a lot of packages of smaller things (ephemera, embellishments) or artsy stuff (paints, mists, masks, etc), this would hose those perfect!
ReplyDeleteNat, do you have any tips on photo storage?? I have so many photos and I get overwhelmed just thinking about them!! ( pre- digital photos, old school! Lol!)
ReplyDeleteI store all of my digital photos on a passport. I create folders by event and sub folders from there. Eg....vacations....disney 2013, NYC , Hilton head 2012, etc. When printing photos I try not to print too many as it gets overwhelming when scrapping. Figure out how many pages you want to scrap for each event. I usually plan 3 photos per page....it gives me options when I finally build my page if I don't use all 3 photos. For storing prints I have 4x6 plastic photo containers I got at michaels.
DeleteI'm famous! ha! ha! Happy to help! And I love what you named it! I've been up in my scrap room the last few weeks 'finishing off' some of my CTMH paper lines, so I don't have to file any of the leftovers away!
ReplyDeleteThanks Amy! It really is " empowering" finishing off paper collections. Lol. It's the little things.
DeleteI just got a turquoise Raskog cart for Mother's day. Can't wait to start using it!! Thanks for the other tips. My very first scrap area was a corner of the bedroom with a card table, chair, a little shelf, and a few file boxes... As it grew my hubby said "Yes my wife has a scrap room, she lets me sleep in it." LOL I didn't have a room until my oldest went to college...
ReplyDeleteYou will love your Raskog. It holds so much!
DeleteWhich size of the bins are you using? I'm guessing large, but wanted to ask to be sure. And do they fit in your Expedit? It looks like they do in the pictures.
ReplyDeleteHi Christie...the bins come in 3 sizes. I use all 3 but like the medium the best. That is what's pictured. In each expedition cube you can fit 1 lg OR 2 md OR 3 small OR 1 md 2 small. I like the small bins for specialty paper...like vellum, acetate, glitter sheets, felt, etc.
DeleteSorry Christie...scratch all of that. Lol. I just checked...there are 4 sizes. The one pictured is a large and I like that size the best. The medium is great too. I store my cardstock in an extra large. For expedit cubes you can get 1 Xl OR 1 lg/2 sm OR 2 md OR 3 sm. OR 1 lg/1 md. Hope that helps. Sorry for the confusion.
DeleteYes it does help. Thanks!
DeleteI use the Container Store Bins also and LOVE them!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe medium and large are my favorite sizes. love that these fit so well in the expedit AND house those large collection packs.
DeleteLove the ideas! I need to get a cart...World market has several types too! I am on a mission to use up paper I gave purchased!
ReplyDeleteSue, save a buck or 2 and go for the Ikea one. the WM version is a little on the steep side. Buy the one at Ikea and spend what's leftover of what you would spend at WM on goodies at LBH!
DeleteNat, don't be upset about the Expedit units being discontinued. They have a replacement that's basically the same thing. It's called Kallax. I was just at Ikea 2 weeks ago and picked up a couple of them. They're the same squares & I even got a couple of drawers to go in them. They even have them in different colors! They have the usual, but I also saw turquoise & pink.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome news Sandy. Thanks for the info......enjoy your new Kallax!
ReplyDeleteI'm filling them up quickly! :)
DeleteAll my paper collections hang neatly on a clothing rod in my craft room closet. I purchased clip hangers (for pants/skirts) from Target, place my collection in a 2 gallon zip lock storage bag, clip to the hanger and voila! I can easily peruse my paper collections.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea, Rita.
Delete