Monday, May 12, 2014

Make it Monday: Silhouette Sketch Pens

Good Morning BLUE fans. Hope everyone had a great weekend. How fun was the Hazel & Ruby feature last week?!?!?! We love that company and hope to see more of them in the near future!

Do I have a fun tutorial for you today. After reading this "how to" I guarantee you won't personally address another envelope if you have a Silhouette Sketch Pen and the magic of a Silhouette. Are you seeing a trend here? Cat and I lovvvvvvvvvve our Silhouettes.

Let's get to it.

My son's 5th birthday party is around the corner.  I'm going to be honest; the idea of addressing 50+ birthday invitations BY HAND just isn't my idea of fun. So any chance I can get to cut some corners is a-OK with me. I have a variety of colors in sketch pens, but for this tutorial, I am using a black sketch pen. If you are new to this process, you do NOT need the "pen holder" offered by Silhouette as the actual sketch pens take place of the blade.


His theme is Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I wanted the font to stick with that theme, so off to the good 'ole Google I went in search of a free pirate font. I found several here and chose the "treasure map deadhand" font. I downloaded and installed the font. Now, if you are already in your silhouette software when you download/install the font, you will need to close the program and get back in. This allows the font to appear as a selection in your software.


To start, I drew a rectangle equal to the size of my envelope I was going to "sketch" on. This allows me to be able to center the name. I chose the font that I wanted to use and typed out the name.  I clicked on my "sketch" window in the top tool bar and selected "plain". In my "cut settings" I chose "sketch pen". Moved the rectangle I drew off of the mat (you don't want the silhouette to sketch the rectangle).  Placed the envelope on my cutting mat, loaded, changed out the blade with the sketch pen and hit "cut".




Just like that, you have a custom addressed envelope. I love that there are so many free fonts out in the virtual world.  Think of the possibilities!



I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. Would love to hear what you would make using these sketch pens. Don't have any? You can purchase here. Check out those metallic pens. How pretty would those be to use on Christmas cards?

Check back tomorrow. I'm going to get REAL with our readers and show you my messy, messy craft room and just what's on my scrap desk. The BLUE Crew is thinking of adding this as a monthly feature on the blog; a behind the scenes look at some scrap rooms, some organizational tips, etc.


Stay True Blue,

Nat

10 comments:

  1. Cuteness! I love the sketch pens--do you know if they fit into the Cricut Expression cutting slot too or just the silhouette? The envies are super cool and the invitation is just great! Everyone will be excited when they get one for sure! :) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linsey. I googled this for you...from what I read the pens are compatible but I've read that you don't get a clean image...pens skip. May want to try to double "cut" when you try.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nat! I really appreciate you checking on that for me!! :)

      Delete
    3. No problem. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I would love to see craft room organization ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the ideas I have to share.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your son is having a super, duper, fun party! Luckily his Mother owns a Silhouette so she can address envelopes and make all kinds of fun things for his party!! Lucky boy!!
    I, too, would enjoy seeing some craft spaces and organizational tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the how-to. Very surprised a how affordable the scetch pens are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. I love the sketch pens...and yes. Very affordable and a great selection of colors.

      Delete