In an attempt to scrap what is in our stash, we present to you Thrifty Thursday! This will be a chance for Nat and I to dig into things we already have and put them to use. Because, if you use up all your old stuff, you get to go get new stuff. Right ladies? Woot.
I was looking around my room trying to decide what was that most neglected item in there. That's when I spotted my border punch tubs. On the bottom shelf. All alone. And I am sure, collecting dust. I use my icon punches plenty---the hearts and circles and stars and such. My poor border punches on the other hand, not so much. So I pulled them out and decided to get to it.
First I made this cute little card.
It came together quickly and was really easy to make. I used 5 of my neglected little border punches to put together this little beauty. And here is where things get super thrifty...this whole thing is made from scraps!! Bonus! I just pulled some coordinating scraps, cut them to size, border punched the edges, inks and adhered. I finished it off with some pretty trim and a sticker & alpha from my stash for the sentiment.
A little organizational detour...I store my scraps in file box I picked up at Office Depot. I have a hanging folder for each color and then I file my scraps for later use. Props to Nat for the idea.
I had so much fun making that card with my border punches, I wanted to see if I could apply the same concept to a layout. Instead of scraps this time, I used washi tape. I know, I know...washi is not exactly a 'neglected' item in my stash. I make lots of things with it, like here. But, there is SO much washi on each roll and I have SO many rolls, that I am always looking for something new to do with it.
First I put 2 strips of my chosen washi tapes on paper, lining up their design, like so:
Then I trimmed it so I had 5 strips of 'patterned' paper.
Then I border punched each strip. For this layout I used the same scalloped punch on each one. To make this layout EXTRA thrifty, when I border punched the strips, I saved the thin leftover salvage and ran it through my Xyron X for additional use on the page.
I am so glad you stopped by today. What do you think of Thrifty Thursday? What is something in your stash that is neglected or under used? Let us know and we will feature some of your ideas in future posts.
Stay True Blue,
Cat
Your projects look great. I would have never guess they were made with "leftovers".
ReplyDeleteThanks Amy. Its cards like this that make me a hoarder. I love how they turn out so much that I start thinking I should not throw anything away!!! LOL
DeleteCat, you are just too, too clever! I love the card and LO you made with your scraps! (I, too, am a hoarder and I don't like to throw anything away--but the time has come for me to purge, purge, purge!), so using your stash ideas are good! Thank you, Nat for the organized scrap container idea!
ReplyDeleteNat & I recently purged our rooms. It was so hard and there were a lot of tears (mostly mine), but we did it and I am much happier in my room now. It is still packed full of goodies, but in a much more manageable amount!
Deleteoh my! If I had to use up my stash to get to buy more stuff, i would never spend a penny again on scrapbooking. I could scrapbook all day every day and never run out! I would just have to keep buying adhesive and new blades for my trimmer!
ReplyDeletePerhaps I should have said, "The more I use, the more I can buy." Or something to that effect... I am sure there are few of us crafters out there that could ever manage to use up all of their goodies.
DeleteBTW, I store my scraps in trays on my desk within arms reach to use while I scrapbooked. If I filed them away, I would never use them. I have 12x12 sliding/stacking trays that I purchased from Oriental Trading. I have two stacks of 5 each. One tray for each color and one for black, whites and one for neutrals/browns/tans.
ReplyDeleteOhhh, I like the idea of drawers. I wish I had a little more room on my desk top for something like that. I keep my file box right under the table at arms reach, so I use it fairly often...or I try to at least. Have fun at your crop tomorrow!!
DeleteThanks for the inspiration. I am going to make a card with border punches today!
ReplyDeleteWe would LOVE to see what you make..post a picture of your card on Facebook!! Have great weekend!
Delete