Happy Monday Blue House Fans!
We are SO excited to be back with you guys this week. We missed y’all.
For those that don’t know, September is The Little Blue Houses birthday month, so this week we are featuring lots of birthday inspired projects.
Today I am sharing with you a super cute little gift card holder that Nat & I taught as a Make & Take at The Little Blue House in August. I posted a pic of the original and the measurements for the base of the card HERE. Today I am going to share with you a step by step tutorial for making it start to finish.
In honor of the LBH’s birthday, I am decorating mine with a birthday theme today. The great thing about this card is that once you learn the technique, the decorating possibilities are endless!
Let’s get started!
You will need:
Trimmer
Scor tape, ATG gun
Square punch
Cardstock A: 1 - 11 x 4 ¼ in & 1- ¾ x 7 in (navy)
Cardstock B: 1 – 2 ¾ x 4 in (light blue)
Cardstock C: 1 – 2 ¾ x 4 in (green dot)
Cardstock D: 1 – 2 ¾ x 4 in & 1 – 1 ½ x 2 ¾ in (red)
Cardstock E: 1 - 1 ½ x 2 ¾ in (pink)
Coordinating stickers and embellies to decorate
**Note: I pulled my embellies first and then pulled all my papers from my scraps. (How thrifty of me!)
First score the 11 x 4 ¼ in piece at 3, 5 ½ & 8 inches. Then fold in half at the 5 ½ in mark. Fold the side back in the opposite direction at the other score marks. You should have an “M” shaped piece of paper.
Flip over your paper and apply Scor tape (or red line tape) to 3 sides of one of the center portions, avoiding the middle crease. (See pic)
Press the taped edges together. You should have a small card with an extra page in the middle, like below.
Next is the fun part, we start to decorate. I used my ATG gun to attach all 3 of the 2 ¾ x 4 inch pieces; 1 on the front, 1 on the inside cover and one on the back cover. Next I attached the 1 ½ x 2 ¾ in to the back cover. I used stickers from an older Echo Park birthday collection from last year to decorate the inside.
We are almost done! Close the card and use the 1- ¾ x 7 inch piece to make a band around the middle of the card. It’s important to make it snug but not tight. Remember that we will be adding a gift card so the thickness of the card will increase and you we still want to be able to slide the band on and off easily.
Ok, one more step. Remove the band and open the card up so that you have easy access to the middle flap. Flip over your square punch so that you can easily see the cutting mechanism. Line it up so that you are about ¼ to ½ inch away from the side edges and approx. ¾ inch deep and punch. Then slide the punch over and line up the edges the same on the other side and punch. You will be left with a pocket just the right size for a gift card. (**Confession, I usually don’t get the punches lined up perfect so I trim the ‘mistakes’ up with my scissors**)
Next I decorated the band and then: All done!!
So, what kind of gift card would you like to find tucked into this cute little holder? Tell us in the comments below.
Stay True Blue,
Cat
Starbucks... For a pumpkin spice latte!
ReplyDeleteLbh
ReplyDeleteCute! I'd take one from the LBH too. :D
ReplyDeleteLove this card holder!! It's so unique-I've never seen one like it! So glad I got to do this at Make-N-Take! Thanks again for the directions!
ReplyDeleteWould love to find a LBH gift card in mine!